Dr Hannes Kleineke
|Senior Research Fellow||Commons 1422-1504|
History of Parliament Research
My work at the History of Parliament has focused primarily on the representatives of the south-western counties of Devon, Cornwall, Somerset and Wiltshire and the parliamentary boroughs within these counties, as well as London’s ‘hinterland-county’ of Middlesex. These have included a range of pirates and other unsavoury characters, but also more prominent figures, such as the Yorkist earl of Devon, Humphrey Stafford of Southwick, several Speakers and members of the leading county families of Arundell and Courtenay.
Research and Publications
My research interests include the political, legal and administrative history of late medieval England, particularly of the south-west of England in the fifteenth century. In chronological terms, the main focus of my work lies in the second half of the century, especially the reign of Edward IV. Together with Professor Matthew Davies I co-directed the AHRC-funded Londoners and the Law project, based at the Centre for Metropolitan History of the IHR. A version of the project database is now accessible through British History Online.
Current projects include a study of the medieval under-sheriff (jointly with Dr. Matthew Holford of the University of Winchester) and a monograph on Parliament under the Yorkist kings.
I am a Convenor of the Late Medieval Seminar at the IHR, and serve as Joint Hon. General Editor of the London Record Society, Book Reviews Editor of Parliamentary History and Assistant Editor of The Fifteenth Century. I am a Fellow of the Royal Historical Society, and hold an Honorary Research Fellowship at Royal Holloway, University of London.
- ed. (with Christian Steer), The Yorkist Age (Donington: Shaun Tyas, 2013),
- The Chancery Case between Nicholas Radford and Thomas Tremayne: the Exeter Depositions of 1439 (Exeter: Devon and Cornwall Record Society, 2013),
- An Index to the First Twenty-Five Years of the Harlaxton Symposium Proceedings, (Donington: Shaun Tyas, 2011),
- Parliament, Personalities and Power: Papers Presented to Linda Clark (The Fifteenth Century X) (Woodbridge: Boydell and Brewer, 2011),
- Edward IV (London and New York: Routledge, 2009),
- Parliamentarians at Law: Select Legal Proceedings of the Long Fifteenth Century Relating to Parliament (Oxford: Wiley-Blackwell, 2008),
- ed. (with S.R. Hovland), The Estate and Household Accounts of William Worsley, Dean of St. Paul’s, 1479-99 (Donington: Shaun Tyas, 2004),
- 'The Library of John Veysy (d.1492), Fellow of Lincoln College, Oxford, and Rector of St. James Garlickhythe, London’, The Library, 7th ser., xvii (2016), 399-422,
- ‘The Medicines of Katherine, duchess of Norfolk, 1463-71’, Medical Histor